Silas

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Shameful Taste In Music

I have a bit of an eclectic taste in music, but I am aware that some of the CDs I own I really shouldn't. Now some of these I can, justifiably, claim as having originally belonged to my ex-wife: Robbie Williams, I'm looking at you here.

Some were from a music club thing that sent the "Album of the Month" to you if you didn't tell them you didn't want it. I think that lets me off "Three Sides To Every Story" by Extreme, "Introspective" by the Pet Shop Boys and "Bat out of Hell II" by Meatloaf. I'm also going to claim "Journeyman" by Eric Clapton under this ruling, as it is from that time (1989-90) and I have no clue how or why I have it.

Which leaves me with the following worrying examples; Tracy Chapman's self-titled debut; Bruce Springsteen's "Tunnel of Love" and, depressingly; Deacon Blue's "When the Whole World Knows Your Name". I say depressingly as it's not even the "greatest" Deacon Blue album (surely "Raintown") and I have the "best" song off it ("Wages Day") as a CD Single anyway.

I think, however, that my secret shame, my guilty pleasure bought in the full knowledge that I knew what it was, is "Riptide" by Robert Palmer. Okay, I'll admit it: I like the album. I don't play it very often, but I do like it.

Please feel free to add your secret shame in the comments.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mia said...

Now I'm afraid I can't agree that Bat Out of Hell 2 is a cause for shame. The reunification of Mr Loaf and Jim Steinman? A cause célèbre indeed! "Life is a Lemon and I Want My Money Back"...

I'm lucky, when I got divorced I managed to offload all the embarrassing CDs on my ex-husband. Actually, come to think of it, they were mostly his anyway. These included: Cuts Both Ways by Gloria Estafan, Joyride by Roxette and Samantha Fox's Greatest Hits, which features the quite tremendous 'Hurt Me Hurt Me (But The Pants Stay On)'. Yes, really. Actually, come to think of it, that album was mine. I might ask for it back.

22:59  
Blogger kingoftheforks said...

Silas - you've suggested in the past that I was the best man at your wedding, and I am pretty sure that I'd remember if (as you have just claimed) Robbie Williams was your wife....I quote:-

Now some of these I can, justifiably, claim as having originally belonged to my ex-wife: Robbie Williams, I'm looking at you here.

I'm sorry, but you're frankly losing the plot. There I've said it and I feel better.

You married Limahl in the eighties, and you love him still.

22:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker