Silas

Monday, June 11, 2007

That God, He's A Cunt Isn't He?

I've been reading the stunningly well-argued "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins. Now, I realise that he's obviously cherry-picked his arguments in much the same way as the religious fundamentalists do, but there are some fabulous examples from the bible of god's lack of, well, niceness.

For example; Genesis 19: 7-8 where Lot is spared for being the only "good" man in Sodom. Lot extols "I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly. Behold now, I have two young daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you and you do ye to them as is good in your eyes" (and remember, these are Sodomites), and god spares him? That's nice, isn't it? You offer your daughters up for gang rape/buggery and you're *spared*?

Worse yet is to befall Lot's somewhat put upon daughters, when - after the death of their mother for having the temerity to watch the city of Sodom being destroyed - they live with him in a cave. And being denied access to any other men (the raping of Sodom obviously not enough for them) they get their father drunk so that he doesn't recognise them and get pregnant by him (Genesis 19: 31-36).

And this is the family god *saves* from Sodom? Wow. Doesn't really say a lot about the other residents, does it? Or indeed, god's moral compass in matters of bringing up a 'normal' family.

I shall return to this book soon.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you feel bad for the booting!

04:16  
Blogger Mia said...

What on earth does 'I hope you feel bad for the booting' mean?

16:01  
Blogger silas said...

I booted the Devil out of heaven in much the same way Father Ted kicked Bishop Brennan up the arse.

16:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker